Develop your marriage/ partnership and keep it flourishing by incorporating relationship questions into your discussions, drive trips, date nights or game nights. Relationships are created from commitment, communication and are continued due to mutual respect and effort. It’s crucial to really get to know your partner by asking everything from everyday clarifying questions, to the deep questions that expand your relationship in a variety of contexts.
Everyday questions are more clarifying e.g. do you think we should look to upgrade the car soon, or go on a holiday. Relationship questions focus more on each other’s feelings towards each other, how you support each other or not, and a raft of misunderstanding can be avoided by making sure questions about your relationship are adequately covered amongst your busy life.
More often than not, questions that build deeper connections can make people feel uncomfortable at first. They can take more effort to make sure the intent is to learn and expand, rather than seek justification.
If your partner is able to speak about difficult topics while listening and empathizing with you, a natural trust will start to grow. So here are some questions you could ask your partner before you take things to the next level.
Sample Relationship Questions:
- What do you value most about our relationship? This question is helpful to ask because it allows our partner the space to acknowledge the strengths they see in the relationship, while also understanding what we might be able to tend to a little bit more. Asking this question facilitates a conversation about what’s going well and what we’re doing right, which can help bring us closer together in the hustle and bustle of transitions and changes. It can also lead to a conversation about what needs improvement.
- Do you feel that we make each other better people? Before taking your relationship to the next level, it’s important to make sure that you both feel like you are better together and not better apart. Asking this question opens the door to evaluate how far you have come as a couple and how far you want to go when approaching the next level in your relationship.
- How much honesty do you believe is actually needed in a relationship? Honesty is obviously one of the most important things you can have in your relationship but it’s not just telling the truth, but rather revealing parts of yourself or thoughts that might be difficult, but build empathy, trust and a more workable relationship. What do you want out of this relationship? If you’re going to take your relationship to the next level, you need to be on the same page. It’s important so you and your partner know what to expect from each other and how to fulfill each other’s changing needs.
- How do you think we’ve changed over the past few years? Asking your partner this can say a lot about the growth, challenges and support you have been to each other. It can reinforce the benefits and sometimes reveal areas that might have slipped (like regular date night discussions) and need to change.
- How do you deal with difficult situations? It’s important to ask and/or observe how your partner copes with difficult emotions, relational situations, and conflict. This will give you an idea of how they will cope with these things in the relationship with you. It’s important to have open and honest communication about these issues and how you both want to handle them in a long-term, committed relationship, in order to avoid disconnection and intense conflict down the road.
You don’t have to ask your partner every single one of these questions all at once. But you should have an idea of how they would answer before you decide to take that next step in your relationship. Some of these may be super uncomfortable and may even trigger some unpleasant memories. But if you truly trust and love each other, there’s really no topic you shouldn’t be able to discuss openly and honestly.
To save you the trouble of creating questions, we did the hard work for you. We developed an easy to play game with over 150 questions, 50 specifically focused on relationship questions. Places forward on the board are given for more detailed or honest answers, and at the end the after-game tasks can be chosen to help take your relationship fun to new directions. View full details on the game or Buy now for quick delivery.