On your first date, a nice meal and a few drinks is all it really takes. But after a while and you get more comfortable as time passes, it can be fun to add a little ‘spark’ back into date night. Instead of the same-old, maybe it’s time to get more creative with new date night ideas.
Below are 25 date night ideas to get you started, from things like a foodie date night eating each course at a different restaurant, to outdoorsy ideas for nature enthusiasts and Ferris Wheel adventures. Pick your favourite new ideas and use the others as inspiration for something else you might prefer. We’re sure your partner will certainly appreciate the effort and you might surprise yourself on how much fun and connecting it can be.
- Recreate the First Date You Ever Had Together – If you went to a movie, rent the same movie. If you went out for dinner, go back to the same restaurant or make the dish that you ate at home.
- Appreciation and Gratitude night – Set out a few candles, a nice healthy and light meal, and each do an exercise together of writing down at least 10 things you appreciate in your partner, and then at least 10 things you are grateful for in the world. Explain your list to each other and maybe talk through future plans on things you’d like to do more together.
- Kiss, Kiss, Kiss – Not for a first date, but if you’re a more seasoned pair, try mastering these 36 kisses: French Kiss, Sniff Kiss, Nip Kiss, Eskimo Kiss, Butterfly Kiss, Basic Kiss, Spiderman Kiss, Flavored Kiss, Vacuum Kiss, Fish Kiss, Tease Kiss, Candy Kiss, Ice Kiss, Firm Kiss, From Behind Kiss, Slow Motion Kiss, Opposite Kiss, Downward Kiss, Tickle Kiss, No Lips Kiss, Blow Kiss, Woodpecker Kiss, Lady and the Tramp Kiss, Shocking Kiss, High Low Kiss, Kiss on the Hand, Kiss on the Cheek, Kiss on the Neck, Kiss on the Fingers, Kiss on the Shoulder, Kiss on the Ear, Kiss on the Back, Kiss on the Navel, Kiss on the Nose, Kiss on the Eyes, Kiss on the Forehead. Not sure what they all mean? Just have fun with it.
- Do Something a Little Bad – Skinny dipping, light sidewalk graffiti, doing something you aren’t supposed to be doing can actually bring couples together. Plus, it’s great for a future story.
- Stargaze – It’s a bit of a cliché, but completely romantic. Who could resist a date that involves stargazing? To get started, download the Night Sky app so you actually know what you are looking at.
- Plan a Picnic – Whether you’re heading to a park, beach or even just your backyard or fire escape, put down a blanket, get a spread of yummy snacks, a bottle of wine, and you’ve got yourself a lovely, low-cost date.
- Go Camping – Borrow equipment from a friend if you don’t have your own, cook marshmallows over an open fire, and completely unplug from technology. You can even do this in your backyard if time is tight.
- Head on a (Mini) Road Trip – Pick a destination about an hour from where you live. It could be anything from a flea market to a restaurant off the beaten path and just drive.
- Head to the Farm and go Berry Picking – Berry picking is a fun activity, and one that allows for a lot of talking and getting to know each other.
- Take a Craft Brewery Tour – Learn something and get good beer in the process? This is pretty much a foolproof date. To find a tour, start by calling a microbrewery near you and go from there.
- Go to a Fancy Bar and Dress Up – Get dressed up, go to a fancy bar (hotel bars are an easy choice), and try something off the exotic cocktails list.
- Take a Workout Class – Take a spin class, a rowing class, or one of the myriads of trendy boutique workout classes that have popped up just about everywhere in recent years. Couples that sweat together, stay together.
- Rent a ‘Dream Car’ or convertible – Take your partner and your dream car you’ve rented on a daytime or weekend adventure, even if it’s just driving and exploring.
- Troll for Photobooths – Spend an evening looking for photobooths and taking fun photos together. The souvenirs from the evening are just a bonus.
- Take a Ride on a Ferris Wheel – Countless romantic comedies feature couples falling in love at the top of the Ferris wheel, and with good reason. Plus, there is something so nostalgic and wonderful about heading to a local fair or amusement park on a date.
- Take a Boxing Class Together – Not your typical date, get the endorphins flowing taking a boxing class together.
- Shop for Each Other – Head to a thrift store, set a budget, and pick out outfits for each other!
- Visit a Museum and See Something Unexpected – Going to a museum is a great date idea. Go see a controversial show, and the conversation will flow easily from there.
- Learn to Dance – Find a dance studio that offer sessions for first timers and couples. Looking to do something special? Consider booking a private lesson to start or just subscribe to local studios and they’ll often send out special promos and invitations.
- Meet for Drinks at a Local Landmark – From the Eiffel Tower, to the Empire State Building, to the Top of the Space Needle – head to a local landmark and admire the view, while creating your own movie worthy moment. If you’re on a mid-price budget, have a drink at home before you get public transport to the venue, share earbuds to listen to a special soundtrack/new band together on the way, have a fancy cocktail at the venue, then off to a gourmet pizza place after.
- Volunteer Together – A great first date idea, head anywhere from a soup kitchen to a home for the elderly to volunteer, while getting to know your date.
- Sing Karaoke – While you are on your karaoke date, don’t forget to do a duet. When in doubt, Sonny and Cher’s “I Got You Babe” can’t be beat.
- Make Homemade Pizzas with Wild Toppings – Instead of just any dinner, make homemade pizzas, and don’t be afraid to go wild with the toppings.
- Work on a DIY Project – Look through Pinterest for a project, and then execute it together.
- Have a Game Night – Dust off some of the fun games in the cupboard, or better still, How Game Are You?™ Intimacy Edition and plan a night in to talk, laugh, share and connect more with each other.
Hopefully a few of these date night ideas resonate with you already and are new. Some involve a little planning so maybe create a shortlist with your partner and plan to do one each month as a special treat, on top of your normal date night routine. View the details of the game or buy it now here or on Amazon You’ll often get back what you put into a relationship, so time to have fun and let’s see ‘How Game Are You?™’?