If you have a roadtrip coming up, we’ve got some great ideas for you.
These fun roadtrip games range from easy and basic guess games to more creative, and even done for you question games you can buy to help keep you sane and maybe even learn more about each other on your road trip. Remember that before tablets, mobile devices and podcasts, we used roadtrip games to keep us entertained.
We’ve categorised into Free games (e.g. I Spy), Card style games (Question cards) and 2 others. Read on, plan/purchase ahead of time and that upcoming roadtrip might pass much quicker than you think..
I Spy. The roadtrip classic and not just for kids.
- Player one says “I spy with my little eye…. something” and then vaguely describes something they see, like “something red” (or maybe “a seductive shape”)
- The other players take turns guessing e.g. stop sign, red car etc. Player ones says no until someone guesses correctly. They can also say ‘close’ if someone is almost correct but out on one small detail like a guess ‘red train carriage’ when you meant ‘red train engine’. The players still have to keep guessing until they get the right answer, but ‘close’ saves them going off on another tangent.
The R rated – License Plate Game. Interpret the letters in each license plate as sexy, crass or provocative you pass.
- For instance, REG could stand for “Randy Ex Girlfriend” and BLB could be “Blokes Love Breasts”
- The other players take turns and continue on until somebody gets stuck, or perhaps gets too crass and is told ‘no more guessing for you’.
While You Were Sleeping. Create the most believable story when someone falls asleep.
- First, a passenger accidentally falls asleep
- After five minutes of slumber, the awake passengers begin creating a story
- Each person takes turns adding to the story
- Once the passenger wakes up, you have to get them to believe the story
- If somebody breaks character, they lose a point
- If somebody goes off script, you ask, “Are you sure?” and then that person is silenced and loses two points
- If you successfully fool the person, each storyteller wins three points
- If the sleeping passenger fools the car and joins their story correctly, they steal their current point total
- The one with the most points at the destination wins. Simplify the game if you want by just seeing how long you can keep the story going until the sleeper realises they’ve been had.
10 Questions. Guess what a person is thinking in 10 questions
- One person thinks of something and can only answer questions with a ‘yes’ or ‘no’
- Then the car participants take turns asking questions (with one person counting the questions to a maximum 21)
- You can’t repeat a question that has been asked
- Whoever guesses it right gets to start the next round
- If you get to 10 questions and still can’t guess, the one with the thought has to start giving the yes or no answer, but with an additional short explanation or clue e.g. Yes it’s an animal, and a larger one from Africa.
Rule. Everyone in the car gets to make one nonsense rule.
- An example would be “every time we go under a bridge everyone needs to moan like they’re in personal rapture” or “whenever I put my hat on everyone has to think of a sexy word and say it out loud”
- Every time a rule is enforced the last person to catch on loses a point
- Whoever has the biggest negative score when you get to your next stop has to buy coffees/ water/ snacks etc.
Question card games
Questions are a great way to while away the hours but also make good use of the time learning more about each other. Rather than think of 20 clever questions yourself, the work is done for you when buying a cost-effective pack of roadtrip question cards.
How Game Are You?™ ORIGINAL EDITION. The perfect game for long roadtrips as there are 150 thought provoking questions and split into three levels so you can pick the right tone for the players you are in the car with.
- ‘A’ questions are more straightforward with easy answers like ‘What is your favourite movie, and why?’ These are perfect for new acquaintances and are short and sharp.
- ‘B’ questions need a bit more thought like ‘If you could travel back in time and stay for five days only, where would you go and why?’
- ‘C’ questions are great for couples or friends that already know each other well. They need more effort or deeper thinking e.g. ‘What is something you would like to say to your younger self if it were possible, and at what age?’.
Play each card (A then B then C) in order or just choose A or C questions. It’s your game to change and you have all the hard work of the questions done for you.
We! Connect Cards. This is a pack of 60 basic questions like ‘What has been the highlight of your week so far’ and ‘What are the most adventurous things you’ve done?’ and maybe the answer is this road trip we’re on.
So Cards. 52 questions as conversation starters for people to get to know each other. ‘What is a common trait shared by everyone you’ve dated’ and ‘If you could punch anyone in the face without repercussions, who would it be?’
Other roadtrip games
Gamie Magnetic Board Game Set Includes 12 Retro Fun Games. 12 small physical games are designed for kids, but heh, they’re retro so you are probably going to enjoy them even more. They include Checkers, Chess, Chinese checkers, Tic Tac Toe, Backgammon, Snakes & Ladders, Solitaire, NineMen’s Morris, Auto Racing, Ludo, Space Venture and Racing. These mini board games measure just 5”, making them the best pocket games for children, with the magnet holding all the pieces in place during any road trip or while camping.
USA Road Trip Trivia Game. This is the road trip game for frequent road trippers, or maybe professional drivers. It’s a tin of 100 trivia cards about the world’s highways and byways. Questions are given with multiple answers to things like ‘As of 2019, in which state would you find the world’s largest ball of twine?’ Spoiler alert – the answer is Kansas. So if highway trivia is your thing, there is a product for that too.
So there you go, the best road trip games for adults. We hope we’ve helped you determine the game you want and if it’s a good card game you are after, then go grab a copy of our How Game Are You?™ ORIGINAL EDITION game to help take your trip filled with conversation, learning and fun.