Here’s a summary from Jamie Long, on 12 thirty-second ways to connect more with your partner:
- Daily touch. Human needs physical contact, it’s one of our most basic needs! A kiss or a hug will always create a difference as you both start your daily routines. And make sure to make it last at least 30 seconds.
- Be curious. C.A.R.E. (Consideration, Attention to health and wellness, Responsibility. Taking responsibility for one’s action/attitude not blaming others. Expression of Love, Kindness, and Compassion) and ditch the obligatory “How was your day?”!
- Side with your partner. Allow your partner to vent to you with his/her simple or little quarrels with someone else and practice siding with him/her even if he’s in the wrong. You can maybe have the comments on a different interaction.
- Express Gratitude. Let your partner know how you appreciate him/her today even for just that simple breakfast shared together before going to work.
- Sleep naked. It appears that removing the outer barrier (pajamas) is a quick secret to staying active under the covers. 😉
- Relive a memory. Remember a funny story, a touching and sweet moment, or look through old photographs. Remember what brought you together when things feel disconnected.
- Create new memories. Even just simple ones, they really don’t have to be that splendid, even just creating a new routine before bedtime that you both will enjoy will definitely do.
- Listen to him or her. Assuming your partner is feeling or thinking can slowly damage one’s relationship. Practice listening to them and understand the stories behind things.
- Share a laugh. As Dr. Gottman explains in The Relationship Cure, all that playfulness requires is a “willingness to turn toward another’s sense of silliness… and have a little bit of fun!” Humor can sure reduce tension and lighten the mood. Think of those things that make you and your partner laugh and share it.
- Expressions of love and kindness. Preparing a simple breakfast or dinner, a sweet note stuck in your partner’s car/pocket or a message via a steam on your bathroom’s mirror. Little yet acts filled with love and kindness.
- Flirt. Talk about sex with your partner, wear something you would wear on your honeymoon, think as if it’s your first date.
- Turn off the electronics. Keep your mobile devices off and do #11.
If you need some help and some extra fun in connecting, buy the How Game Are You? Couples Intimacy game to take things up a notch. The game is now available through our website, Amazon (US and AU) and Ebay (AU). You can view the details here or order your own copy of the game now and be one of the first to receive it. Let the fun, connection and romance begin and build your intimate relationship to another level.